Aberglasslyn, Rutherford and Telarah are suburbs in the City of Maitland in the Hunter Region. The suburbs consists of mixed residential development, bulky goods retail, light industry and manufacturing plants.
Aberglasslyn was originally known as “The Country Estate”, Aberglasslyn was surrounded by paddocks and bushland , which have now been developed into numerous sub-divisions such as “The Sanctuary” and “Weblands Wonderland”. Aberglasslyn provides views of the hills of Maitland Vale and Rosebrook, situated near the Hunter River. It retains some bushland, which has been listed as a nature reserve.
Rutherford has a historical association with racing from 1858 onwards. In 1886 the Northern Jockey Club constructed a landscaped racecourse for use. The racecourse was also used as a landing ground by pioneer aviators Charles Kingsford Smith and Bert Hinkler.
Telarah was formerly known as Homeville, however use of this name was abandoned in the 1950s. It is located on the New England Highway and is also the site of a major rail junction, where the North Coast line and the once extensive, privately owned South Maitland Railway system meet the Main North line. A station on the North Coast line opened in 1911 and is served by NSW TrainLink‘s Hunter Line, with services to Newcastle and Dungog.
Child Care Centres:
Hospitals and Medical Centres:
There are currently 100 medical centres located within the Aberglasslyn/Rutherford/Telarah and Maitland district ranging from all specialities. There are also 2 hospitals. Maitland Public Hospital and Maitland Private Hospital.
There are numerous cafes, pubs and clubs in the Abergalsslyn/Rutherford/Telarah area
Recreational facilities in the area and residing suburbs:
There are many bus services that run through the Aberglasslyn/Rutherford/Telarah area connecting to routes around residing suburbs.